Building your tennis court can be a dream come true if you’re a Toronto homeowner who loves tennis. Aside from providing convenience and encouraging active living, having a tennis court in your home can increase your property’s value.
Installing a new tennis court is a significant investment. Constructing a tennis court requires careful planning and consideration to ensure the final product meets your needs and expectations. From choosing an ideal court size to constructing a drainage for the court, there are important things to note when building a new tennis court.
To help you get started, we’ve compiled a list of the top 5 tennis court construction tips for Toronto homeowners. With this article as your ultimate tennis court construction guide, you can create a safe, durable, and functional tennis court that you can enjoy for years.
How to Build a New Tennis Court?
Building a new tennis court can be an exciting project. However, the result may only meet your expectations with the right tips to guide you. If you’re inexperienced in constructing a tennis court, we recommend leaving this task to professional contractors.
Whether you’re a seasoned tennis player or simply looking to add a fun and unique feature to your property, here are some tips for the perfect tennis court installation.
Selecting an Appropriate Court Size
The initial step in building a tennis court involves choosing an ideal court size for your property. Tennis courts come in various sizes, and the available space on your property will determine your size.
The standard dimensions for singles play (27 feet wide by 78 feet long) and doubles play (36 feet wide by 78 feet long) should be your guide when choosing the ideal size for your new tennis court. Also, Toronto residents should consider their property space while making this important decision, as legal complications can result otherwise.
Selecting an Appropriate Surface Material
Choosing the appropriate surface material is vital to creating an enjoyable tennis-playing experience and prolonging longevity. As a resident of Toronto, consider its climate, which often sees harsh winters followed by mild summers.
Additionally, you should opt for durable surfaces which can withstand extreme fluctuations while offering great playing surfaces. Some surface materials you can consider are,
- Hard Courts: Hard courts are becoming increasingly popular due to their durability and low maintenance needs. Acrylic surfaces provide good traction and ball bounce. Regular cleaning and resurfacing should extend the lifespan of these courts.
- Clay Courts: Clay courts are known for their soft feel and slower ball pace. However, their care requires additional maintenance, such as watering and rolling, to maintain an ideal consistency, particularly during periods when there’s rain. With Toronto, weather can sometimes make maintenance of these courts tricky.
- Grass Courts: Grass courts provide a distinctive playing experience with a fastball pace and traditional feel. However, their maintenance requirements include regular mowing, watering, and aeration, making Toronto’s climate difficult and costly for maintaining grass courts.
- Synthetic Turf Courts: Synthetic turf offers an even playing surface and requires less maintenance than natural grass. With excellent traction and weather-resilient properties, synthetic turf courts make an appealing option for many Toronto homeowners.
Paying Attention to Drainage
With Toronto’s changing climate bringing heavy rainfall and melting snow, proper drainage is crucial to keeping a tennis court functioning at its best. Inadequate drainage may result in water collecting on its surface leading to erosion, cracks or structural damage.
For successful drainage:
- Grade Your Court Area: For optimal play on any playing surface, grade the court area so water flows away from it and away from pooling on it. Doing this prevents pooling on it which potentially causes damage.
- Install Sub-Surface Drainage Systems: Consider adding sub-surface drainage systems to redirect excess water away from the court, such as installing pipes, drains, or gravel layers.
- Select Permeable Surfaces: Opt for permeable surfaces that allow water to pass through them easily to prevent pooling on your court and reduce risk. Permeable surfaces prevent accumulation and minimize potential damages.
Opt for Professional Construction
Another tennis court construction tip every Toronto homeowner should know is opting for professional construction. While DIY projects may be satisfying, tennis court construction requires professional knowledge and equipment.
Opting for professional tennis court construction services in Toronto ensures your court meets industry standards, increasing its longevity and playability. Experienced contractors can evaluate your property accurately, recommend suitable materials, and execute construction precisely. Also, they can address any unexpected hurdles during the process.
Implement Routine Maintenance
Once your tennis court is in place, perform regular maintenance to maintain its quality and performance. Some maintenance tips include:
- Cleaning: Regularly sweep your court surface to remove debris, leaves and dirt to avoid surface damage and maintain consistent ball bounce. Regular cleaning prevents surface degradation while maintaining consistent ball bounce.
- Resurfacing: Resurfacing may be necessary every few years, depending on the surface material used. This involves applying a fresh surface material layer to restore traction and aesthetics.
- Sealing and Repainting: For hard courts, regular sealing and repainting can help protect them against weathering and UV deterioration. Sealing and repainting may help preserve its condition for years to come.
- Inspection for Damage: Regularly inspect cracks, uneven surfaces, and drainage issues on your court. Early resolution can save both you and the courts from becoming major headaches.
- Proper Winterization: Toronto’s cold winters make proper winterization of courts essential. Protect them from freezing temperatures and moisture damage by covering them securely or following established procedures for winterization.
Related Article: Tennis Court Maintenance Tips for the Winter Months
Tennis Court Construction and Resurfacing Services in Toronto
Constructing a tennis court on your Toronto property can bring you and your loved ones years of joy. By following these top 5 tennis court construction tips, you will be well equipped to create one that looks beautiful and offers a high-quality playing experience.
Remember, proper planning and maintenance are keys to creating a long-lasting tennis court that you will enjoy for many seasons. Crowall Surface Contractors aims to offer quality tennis court construction services in Toronto.
Contact us today at 1-416-951-4626 to get started on your tennis court construction project and make your backyard the envy of all tennis enthusiasts.